Friday, December 16, 2011

Mortiis – The Smell Of Rain

Review# 360

Ahhh Mortiis, a favourite of mine and yet is intensely hated by my partner. In fact I only know of one other person in my (admittedly small) sphere of friends and acquaintances who also likes this weird and wonderful artist. There are far to many people who are goblin snobs. The Smell Of Rain is probably my favourite of the Mortiis back catalogue. It is a fun industrial cum synth pop cum dance album. On one hand it is a bit outside what I usually listen to but on the other it has a good strong industrial sound at the root of the music. It is an interesting album and a huge change of direction from all that Mortiis had done previously (see earlier in the year where is reviewed all of Mortiis era I back to back) and also completely different to the follow up album The Grudge (see even earlier in the year for that one) which stripped off a lot of the pop elements. In the era time lines associated with Mortiis's music The Smell Of Rain is the only album to be thought of as era II. So its not great intense thought provoking music and yes its a bit weird and the music videos really don't help and yeah I get that not everyone is going to like what I like, but if you haven't already give a goblin a chance.

Parasite God: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM-VTCesxHg
Marshland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yagjl3_-gP0

No comments:

Post a Comment