Monday, September 5, 2011

Katatonia – Viva Emptiness

Review: 243

I love the last two Katatonia albums but Viva Emptiness (the release before The Great Cold Distance) does very little for me. While it still has the Doomy sound and melancholy that I love in the last two releases I just find it a little flat. I also have a problem with this horrible harsh inflection that is used on all of the swearing through out the album. Anyone who knows me knows that I have absolutely no problem with ANY swear word at all, the problem is that the song can be sung along nicely then all of a sudden there is just this horrible and un-necessary tone. It does not further the song making swear words stick out like sore thumbs, in fact it's distracting and detracting. And it's done practically EVERY time!
The album gets a little better toward the end, but on the whole it's a far cry from The Great Cold Distance or Night Is The New Day.

Ghost Of The Sun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y6MTcUNYrs

No comments:

Post a Comment