Monday, September 19, 2011

Merzbow - Music for Bondage Performance Vol. 1

Review# 267

I have heard the name Merzbow pop up from time to time in association with bands like Sunn O))) but other than that I know pretty much nothing about them. And it turns out its not a "them" but a him, Masami Akita to be exact, and from a brief scroll through Wikipedia I have discovered that since 1979 he has released in excess of 350 recordings, has an interest in Japanese bondage and more recently animal rights etc. Looks like he would be an interesting read.
His music is definitely Experimental and Dark Ambient. I had know idea what I was going to be listening to when I put this on but, while it will probably need many listens to get my head around it, it has been rather enjoyable. I am not sure what bondage inspired music should sound like but I will trust that Masami Akita knows best and has portrayed it well. It is kind of hard to explain the sound so i recommend you have a listen and see for yourself.

Ropers In Tears: Made for Bondage & Pipe in Western Style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AblACDDkdYQ

Seishi Seppuku Kei: Made for Female Prisoner in Bondage & Seppuku Japanese Style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHfjSPwDzaQ

No comments:

Post a Comment