Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica


Okay, I’m going to be honest. I’m terrified. I’ve heard so much about this album but have not heard it. Some people love it, many simply find it ‘too hard/weird’ and there is a running joke about it ruining relationships. As much as I love weird stuff... I’m hesitant. I’ve heard a couple of tracks from the album, only really remember Ella Guru, which I didn’t really remember as being that weird, kind of bluesy? I don’t know... it was a long time ago. I think I’ll warm up with that song before kicking into the album proper.

Isn’t it funny how your memory can play tricks on you?

I’ve spent a couple of days listening to this now, it’s pretty much my ideal album. It’s complicated and bizarre and I love it. The album was recorded in about four and a half hours after eight months of rehearsals in what could only be described as a cult-like situation. It’s kind of a slow burn, everything is exactly where it should be and after a few listens to each track you really get a feel for how meticulously some of it was composed. This project has exposed me to some new stuff, but Islands, The Guessing Game and this are the three best ‘brand new experiences’ of the project with this being the one that stands out the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment