Sunday, July 17, 2011

Dio - Holy Diver


This project has included a lot of album I cherished when I was younger and have rediscovered their brilliance. Occasionally I’ve found the polish has well and truly worn off and unfortunately Holy Diver, an album I once triumphed as one of my all-time favourites, fits into the second category. The biggest surprise is how BORING the album is. Dio’s main strength is as a frontman, and a frontman’s main strength is charisma. His performance here, while technically very good, is exceptionally unengaging. I think this is kind of a niche album, if you like metal then this fits all the right criteria. Aside from it sounding rather dated there’s not a lot it does wrong. If metal simply doesn’t interest you then this won’t convert you (or convert you back).

No comments:

Post a Comment