Monday, July 18, 2011

Gary Numan – Jagged

Review# 181

If anyone had asked me a year ago I would have laughed at the idea of falling in love with a Gary Numan album. Then at Sonisphere UK last year, as I waited on the barrier for Alice Cooper ( waited through Europe then Gary), I was totally taught a lesson. And that was that Gary Numan's more recent work is some very impressive Dark Wave Industrial and it is amazing. Jagged is his most recent album, it deals a lot with his relationship, or lack there of, with god and in his atheist view point. The album is very dark and full of emotion, there are some great waves of sound and dynamic change that can suddenly pick up and sweep you along. Nothing on this album sounds like 80's synth pop, there is no Cars or Are Friends Electric here but the electronic sounds are still prevalent and the main driving force after Gary's vocals. Personally I love the theme and I love the darkness of the album but I would not be surprised that people could be put off by this fact.

Halo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sGE7HzP068
In A Dark Place: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy7JSYdO2wY

No comments:

Post a Comment