Monday, April 11, 2011

Lacuna Coil – Shallow Life


Review# 105


There were two main disappointments album wise, for me anyway, in 2009 - one was Mastodon's Crack The Skye and the other was Shallow Life. Shallow is the key word here - after the musical output on all previous albums, especially the last two; Comalies and Karmacode, this album just came across as poppy, overproduced and well... Shallow. Personally I can get my head around the change in direction, they already have a huge fan base built on slightly darker, gothic spiced music so I just don't understand it. I thoroughly thrashed this for a few weeks when I first brought it and was desperately wanting to like it like I liked everything else to date. But sadly I ended up shelving it and this would be the first time I have listened to it since then and I have to say I have noticed something this time around.... There are parts on the synth/keys that sound like Linkin Park! Seriously! The other thing that really bothers me is that Christina's voice seems much more restrained and almost as if it's been overly digitised - it's sounds far less natural than on previous albums anyway. On the whole the album is rather boring and at times almost embarrassing. The best track is the lead single Spellbound. I really hope that the next thing Lacuna Coil do is something that their own, not Lacuna Coil plays Evanescence/Linkin Park hybrid.


No comments:

Post a Comment