Sunday, March 13, 2011

Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um and Blues & Roots

You know how it’s really hip to complain how AC/DC’s songs all sound kind of the same? Or Nickelback, because it opens up for further insult to Nickelback? I mean, what kind of a name is Nickelback anyway? Here however we come about the closest to having an artist put the same album out twice.


Recorded just over three months apart from each other, Mingus’ recorded ‘jazz workshops’ yield two albums with many of the same themes. Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting and Better Git It In Your Soul are pretty much the same song just in a different key, Jelly Roll appears as My Jelly Roll Soul on Blues & Roots. Mingus Ah Um was a huge success due to being on a larger label (Columbia Records, Blues & Roots was on Atlantic) and coming out first. Not sure if it’s just my CD but there is also some high frequency noise in the middle of Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting, so I guess Teo’s production on Mingus Ah Um does stand out.

It’s tough to call which of the albums I like the best, Mingus Ah Um has a bigger, tighter band but Blues & Roots just bounces harder, and Mingus himself seems a little more prominent. Roots has Moanin’ but Ah Um has Boogie Stop Shuffle. Music Wise I prefer Blues and Roots but Ah Um is the better SOUNDING album. Mingus Ah Um has two edits of the album, one was shorter for the original LP but it was restored for the Legacy edition in the late 90’s. I kind of find the more concise version the more focussed album but the full release the more interesting listen.

tl;dr: I don’t know what making up my mind is. Here’s some beats.

Better Git It In Your Soul
Wedensday Night Prayer Meeting
 Moanin'

No comments:

Post a Comment