Thursday, March 17, 2011

Korn – Follow The Leader


Review# 77

The whole Nu-metal thing, for the most part, kind of passed me by when I was younger. Sure I know the radio singles but I never actively sought out and listened to the albums of the era (excluding Linkin Park as regular readers know) so this is my very first listen to a Korn album. The first track, It's On!, really had me worried that I was in for an hour or so of aural pain. Jonathan Davies voice/vocal style is a shocker on that opening track! But up next are the two singles Freak On A Leash and Got The Life which are catchy and well let's face it Freak On A Leash is one of those drunken sing along songs where everyone joins in to make the strange noises that Jonathan.... Sings?
One thing the album could do without is the track Children Of The Korn... Ok, maybe it's coz I just don't understand rap but the repetitive rap of "children of the Korn" is somewhat irritating... Well the whole song is irritating and to be fair it is rather jarring from the overall sound of the album. Same goes for All In The Family... That song is a terrible "rap" off between Jonathan Davies and Fred Durst... It's fucken terrible!

There was a part of me that wondered if I would enjoy this album more than I did (which is really not at all)... I mean I don't mind Freak On A Leash, at least as a party song. I think I was just hoping that I would be catchier and I could at least feel that I would tolerate it if someone put the album on... But really not.
My favourite thing about the album is the often industrial sounding bass, especially on Reclaim My Place.

Freak On A Leash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG7a2YbeDu4
Reclaim My Place: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpnZJaSUyTk

No comments:

Post a Comment