Sunday, May 29, 2011

Alice Cooper - The Last Temptation


I’m kind of on the fence about this one actually. And that I’m on the fence about it, unfortunately, means that I’ve kind of gotten on my fence about Alice Cooper. God that hurts to say. His top five or so records are incredible work, really great rock albums. Everything beyond that however is a long way behind that top tier work. This is about the closest to top-tier Alice that you can get more recent than the 70’s. 

It’s supposed to be a concept album, but hell if I know what the concept is supposed to be. It’s a fairly solid 90’s rock album, probably one of the best of the era for what it’s worth. The production is really good as well, head and should above most of his other albums. The biggest problem is that some of the tracks are really unengaging, particularly in the second half.

The best tracks are Lost in America, arguably that best single Alice has put out since Alice Cooper (the band) disbanded. Nothing’s Free has some of Cooper’s best Jim Morrison-esque vocals and Stolen Prayer is about the best ballad he’s ever made. Something about it reminds me of the Trash/Hey Stoopid era but it actually works in this case. I guess this is kind of the opposite to my Muse review, where I like the album better than I remember it. Let hope the trend continues and I just never gave it time to sink it earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment