Monday, May 23, 2011

Pink Floyd – Piper at the Gates of Dawn


I’m kind of on a Pink Floyd kick at the moment. The catalogue is being remastered, despite already being a particularly well mastered catalogue as it stands and there are going to be plenty of bonuses in the Experience and Immersion (deluxe and ultra deluxe) versions of Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and The Wall. So I’ve been listening to a lot of Floyd. Despite the fact that I know for absolute certainty by September 27th rolls around I’m going to want to do it all over again. But I’ve got album reviews to do and I’m behind as it is. Decisions!

So I can compromise. I will review the Pink Floyd album that the new set has zero chance of topping. As it stands, most of the other albums already have many outstanding pressings across the MFSL, Harvest, Black Triangle and Japanese Columbia ranges. Even the current masters are really good except for the 2003 Dark Side of the Moon. Honestly, I’m tempted to get the Oh By The Way box which collects these masters while it’s still available in case the new ones turn out worse which is an admittedly high possibility.

There is a very simple reason why the 2007 Piper will be better. The new one will use the stereo mix. Do you know how many times I’ve listened to the stereo mix all the way through? Twice. One of those is because I’m reviewing it now. I’ve never been able to handle it up until now where I’ve managed to force my way through it. I got the 2007 after the Beatles Stereo box got me back into psychadelia. Maybe this time I’d get it. Put the stereo disc on. Still crap, but I got through it. Figured I’d see what the mono was like. Whoa. This is the album everyone revered. Of course from there I got into the mono Beatles and mixology became something of an obsession.

It sounds weird. The music is mostly the same but the mix is very distracting, especially during the end of Interstellar Overdrive. And this was mixed at Abbey as well. Horrible. Guess which CD I’m going to recommend? Hopefully we’ll see a mono mix of Saucerful of Secrets as well although the stereo is way better on that one. There are two versions of the 2007. There’s the mono/stereo set and one which also included the early singles. I’m pretty sure Candy and a Currant Bun is one of the earliest pop songs to say ‘fuck’ in it as well. Most of the album has a trippy childlike quality to it so may be an acquired taste. Get the 2007 whilst you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment