Monday, May 16, 2011

Them Crooked Vultures – Them Crooked Vultures



Review# 125

Well I may not be the best person to give a good review on Them Crooked Vultures since I am lukewarm on all the original bands that make up the components of TCV. But I have lived with this album since it came out, Sam is a huge fan, so I feel I know it enough to know what I think of it quite accurately.
To me the album is flat and boring and just a little too perfect - if they had let a little grime in the production I think that would have helped a lot and it would have worked well with the music. The best part of the whole thing is the second half of opening track Nobody Loves Me & Neither Do I when the thick, heavy riffs come in - and this isn't just about me mostly liking that type of music since I do listen to varying degrees of rock and metal - but when that riff kicks in the band actually come alive for a couple of minutes. Josh Homme doesn't sound quite so tedious and the rest of the band sound like they really have a purpose.
I toddled off to see TCV when they came to Wellington, I thought they may be one of those bands that make sense when you see them live... Bit with the exception of when that big fat riff kicked in and watching Dave Grohl beat the shit out of his drum kit I found it still a bit tepid. I think considering the bands pedigree it could have been better.

No One Loves Me & Neither Do I: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wERqeJE1BE

No comments:

Post a Comment