Monday, June 27, 2011

Black Sabbath - Paranoid


I don’t even want to think about how many times I’ve listened to this album. It just came along at EXACTLY the right time for me. I was thirteen, I was getting into metal and I thought the Osbournes was the funniest thing in the world. I got into Ozzy’s solo work first and then moved back to the older stuff. There is a personal chemistry here that contributes to a certain sound, as I mentioned in my Technical Ecstasy review. The Beatles had it, Led Zeppelin had it, Pink Floyd had it for a bit as well, but it’s kind of a rare thing. Everything just works together, it’s tough to explain.

This is still very much a bluesy album, even the metal ‘anthems’ Iron Man and Electric Funeral have jam based instrumental breaks in them which provides a nice texture that was kind of absent in a lot of the later work. Even though I’m far less interested in metal now the jam touches add a certain spontaneity which colours the record nicely. Fact: It was the solo in Planet Caravan which first got me interested in jazz. Classic album.

No comments:

Post a Comment