Friday, June 10, 2011

Opeth - Watershed


I don’t think I’ve listened to all of this before now. It’s a lot better than I remember it being (I remember it being completely dreadful). Yes there are several aspects I don’t like/have grown out of but as a whole it’s a listenable, cohesive and well paced album.

I like the mellotron touches to the album, in fact Burden is nearly reminiscent of an early King Crimson track. It’s these small touches that make a big difference to me. Also it’s really well paced. I really don’t remember this album being so well put together when I bought it. The biggest problem is all the lyrics are bad. Personally I’d rather there not be any.

Probably the biggest accolade I can bestow Opeth is as follows (and pay attention, you will see it on their next press release): it’s about time a band recognized that prog is an attitude and not a genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment