Friday, June 10, 2011

The Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones


I can’t say I was ever a huge Stones fan. Obviously there are the classic singles we all know but I’ve still never heard a Stones album all the way through. I’m sure there are better places to start, in fact I can name about five of the top of my head.

The blues influence is pretty strong. Making obvious comparisons with The Beatles I think the Stones were a little less concerned with being a successful pop group and would rather play what they liked listening to. The album is a pretty low fidelity recording, but in a way that kind of works in its favour. There’s a very strong live in the studio sound which became something of a rarity from about 1966 onwards. Unfortunately I’m listening on headphones so I’m missing some of that mono punch.

All in all, good understated album. There should be more of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment