Friday, February 11, 2011

Black Sabbath - Technical Ecstasy

This is one of these albums that I’m pretty sure I’m the only person who likes it. This is to say, I think it’s one of the best Sabbath albums, not one of the worst. The album has full time session keyboardist Gerald Woodruffe further developing a progressive angle which began a couple of years earlier on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. The album seems to have a lot more overdubbing than most of the other Sabbath albums did by this point, so I’m not sure how All Moving Parts would have worked live.

The album is a lot less serious than the others are, or more correctly, doesn’t take itself as seriously as the other ones do. Where some fans see this as a lack of commitment, I see it as the band actually having fun with what they’re doing, although from what I understand the politics within the band were uncontrollably tense. There are also a couple of poppier numbers in the listing; She’s Gone is a ballad in the style of Changes from Vol. 4, It’s Alright could have been an early Beatles outtake and Rock and Roll Doctor tells you everything you need to know about the song in the title.

This is not Black Sabbath as a metal band, although when you look at it, very little of the original line-up’s output was. The first two albums were two-thirds blues, the last two were proggy pop-rock records, and there was a fair bit of experimentation on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage which fits largely outside the metal mould the band defined with their two remaining pure metal albums.

The album was remastered recently. I haven’t heard it, but hearing the 1996 Castle remaster and knowing how bad the Black Box was as a whole; I know which one I’de recommend, unless you really want to hunt down an out of print Warner Bros. Disc which I’m aware is considered the best press by many.

Gypsy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6YE0e5GLK4

No comments:

Post a Comment