Sunday, February 20, 2011

Coheed And Cambria – Year Of The Black Rainbow


Review# 54

And now we come to the prequel. This is the album that explains some of the history of Coheed And Cambria and the lies and brain wiping etc. It is an interesting album after listening to the other four, every time I have listened to this album I have tuned out completely after track five. This is a different sort of boring to Second Stage, there is more power through this album and it is more experimental compared to what Coheed have done in the past. The songs are so much more uninteresting compared to the last three and even more so than Second Stage. It may be unfair to compare between all five albums but unfortunately when you release everything as one giant concept that is just going to happen. The feel of this album is also quite odd, it feels like it sticks out like a sore thumb somehow and it doesn't feel like Coheed And Cambria. I am uncertain if it is just the production or the sound they have gone for. I guess thematically it is a good choice to change the sound a little for a prequel as there are different feelings and emotions present in the characters but I am sure that shouldn't be licence to let the songs be boring and again disconnected from the listener.

It kind of makes me sad that I don't like this album, Claudio has stated that this is the best album Coheed have ever done and I kind of feel bad about not liking Rainbow. I know that reviewers were divided by this release, some rating it very highly and others feeling the disappointment that I feel. Of those I know really like Coheed and have heard this album most feel “meh”, in fact I don't know anyone who really likes it. I really hope that the next story Claudio tells through this type of media will again be Good Apollo quality.

Here We Are Juggernaut: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGTzirBrlsw

No comments:

Post a Comment