Saturday, February 12, 2011

Mnemic – The Audio Injected Soul


Review# 29

I remember when I first got this album, based entirely on the song Deathbox, and I put it on played it through and went “ok then” and put it aside for the next 6 months or more. Then one day I put it back on and went “why have I not been listening to this!”. I think the upgrade in sound system really helped in this case as it is one of those albums that you need to have good sound quality to enjoy. Both Deathbox and Dreamstate Emergency have AM3D positional headphone technology which is developed my the band. On the back of the album it states that it presents a way of improving the sound experience, using binaural techniques the sound is processed to localise a single sound to a specific location in three-dimensional space around the listener. In other words those two songs especially sound amazing through headphones!

The most unimpressive thing with this album is definitely the cover of Duran Duran's Wild Boys... that never should have happened and I rank that up there in some of the worst covers I have ever heard! Deathbox is an amazing track with other highlights being Sane vs Normal, Jack Vegas, Door 2.12 and Dreamstate emergency. In saying that the album is great and all of the tracks work well together. It is a bit of a shiny album and Mnemic do acknowledge that they are not pushing the boundaries but they have made a solid album and that counts for something.

Deathbox: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUTjrg8Dh8M
Jack Vegas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD-hBS8G1Yk
Dreamstate Emergency: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX11rQU6OTo

No comments:

Post a Comment