Sunday, February 20, 2011

Coheed And Cambria – The Second Stage Turbine Blade


Review# 50

This is the first album by Coheed And Cambria, to date they have five albums all concept albums based on main-man Claudio Sanchez's story/graphic novels The Amory Wars.
To be fair I lost track of the story years ago, I got into Coheed on the third album and thought I would get into the story and collect the novels too etc, but over time interest waned and I have forgotten a lot that I once knew and to be fair by the time I picked up this album I didn't really care too much about the story. But for those interested Coheed and Cambria are a husband and wife that through a bunch of lies and so forth have been told that they either need to hunt down and kill their children or watch as they bring on Armageddon. It is a cool story, but trying to track down the novels etc can be a pain, after listening to all of the albums back to back I feel I will be keen to track them down. One day when I have money to blow I will probably get the whole lot.

So the way I see it, if you put Coheed's albums on a graph of how interesting they are it would look like an upside down U with the first and last album ranking low and the third being bloody good. But this is all stuff that will be covered in the back to back review session I am holding this weekend. You will also find I shorten a lot of the titles due to them being so frickin long!

Second Stage is an interesting album, I am currently listening to it for the third time ever. After purchasing it and giving it it's first spin I put it away and never listened to it again. On first listen it is boring. When I decided earlier in the week to write on all five albums back to back I put it on while I was on the train and sat there and had a good long think about it. So first off; it is still boring, Claudio's voice is annoying and there is little impact in the music. BUT it was not as bad as I remembered. Musically it is very good if you look at it on a technical level, personally I don’t feel any connection between the music and myself which for me is a huge factor but also one that is hard to explain. The sound of the music has elements of Prog, Rock and a touch of Hardcore and Punk thrown in from time to time.
The thing with Claudio's voice on this album is that it is almost androgynous, maybe I would have been more tolerant of this if I hadn't started on the middle album but there you have it. It's something about a side-burned giant haired man with this little voice that puts me off. Even though his voice is still a bit like that in the next album it is carried by better songs.

The best song is Delirium Trigger, there is a bit more passion here and a bit less of the weird vocals. Also at thirteen tracks and and 1.2hours long it is a bit tedious, the album would have benefited from culling at least the acoustic version of Junesong Provision and the 13:38min demo version of Everything Evil. Second Stage has definitely got some good ideas here but they are better shown on the next two or three albums.

Delirium Trigger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NItTBfA_BM

No comments:

Post a Comment