Saturday, February 12, 2011

Linkin Park – Hybrid Theory


Review# 35

I have been putting this off. I didn't want to come to this place. I am not 16 any more. I put it on and suddenly all of the words come to the front on my mind. I am singing along without realising it. My 16 year old self is is revelling in this. My 26 year old self is attempting to be diplomatic.... I mean this album has a nostalgia factor for me, picture 10 year younger versions of Genna and I walking around college singing tracks from Hybrid Theory and thinking we were totally bad ass (we totally were!). This was a major stepping stone to metal for me (along with Rammstein's Sehnsucht and Slipknot's Iowa) so there is another thing that should give it points... … …...... But it is just so terrible! Ok so the opening tracks, Papercut and One Step Closer, are not as terrible and that is potentially due to them being singles and all “shineyed” up as Crawling and In The End (the other two singles) are slightly more passable. The sound is over produced, the lyrics suck and the angst-ness of the album has dated dramatically.

This album would be so much better if it had a dirtier sound and wasn't so … corporate. There are some interesting ideas here like the Industrial sounds mixed with a bit of Hardcore-ishness and the distorted vs clean vocals. But it is just not pulled off in a satisfying way to my now more educated palate. I am glad that this album was made as it was a turning point all of those years ago, but I am glad that at some point I realised that Rammstein and Slipknot were better and would lead to better things.

So after this spin (the first in at least 8 years! And thankfully not quite 38min long!) I would hazard that In The End is probably the “best” song on this album. But I have also just realised that at age 16 my favourite was A Place For My Head, check that out if you want to hear some terrible lyrics! I think that the other reason this is a terrible album in hindsight is that it would be ok if it wasn't LP's best album, but when everything they have done since has steadily gone down hill you loose a certain amount of faith.

And I can't believe I still know all of the words!

In The End (this video is hilarious! Check out the random hand gestures!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVTXPUF4Oz4
and for shits and giggles, A Place For My Head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBcOoW9QgH4

No comments:

Post a Comment