Friday, February 11, 2011

Cradle of Filth – Nymphetamine


Review# 7
Cradle of Filth, UK’s number1 Black Metal band. And despite the name Dani Filth (the head honcho) is quite a nice guy by all accounts... and rather good at juggling as I learnt after reading an article on him yesterday! Now on to the album...
... After a wee string intro it’s straight into Gilded C***, it is one of those songs that is truly awesome to play rather loudly when you wish to irritate all of those in your house (who don’t like Cradle) as I did 6 years ago when this album came out. Really it is a great track, one of the best on the album. The title track is also a wickedly epic song at 9.14min (overdose version), this features Leaves Eyes singer Liv Kristine singing duet with Dani. This track was also nominated for a Grammy in 2005 for best metal performance.
This is one of those albums that I absolutely thrashed when I was in my early 20s and so have kind of neglected in the last couple of years so it is very good to listen anew. Overall the album is pretty solid. The first half up to, Medusa and Hemlock, manages to keep my attention and I am pretty chuffed that it hasn’t dated; it is defiantly not an album just for my 20 year old self! While the last half doesn’t stack up to the first half (this could be due to the day long headache I have had too...) I am pretty impressed that sticking the guts of Nymphetamine on the end of the album works well and ties it all together neatly, not everyone could get away with that... but the 5min (Fix) version fits.
This is a bit short and sweet today due to the above mentioned headache so here are some videos for your pleasure; I’m off to get some neurophen!
NOTE: listening to the album later after the headache I definitely enjoyed the last half of the album!

Nymphetamine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dW6aNAZGTM
Gilded C***: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8TV93f6ZKM&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment