Saturday, February 12, 2011

Satyricon – Now Diabolical


Review# 39

If you want “accessible” Black Metal this would be a good album to start with. There is much more of a groove to the tracks and while the standard Black Metal vocals are there and also in the sound of the music it seems to be toned down. This album has been criticised as having a more “radio friendly” sound to it. While I can see this to a point it would be foolish to dismiss this album because it doesn't sound like other Satyricon albums, maybe overseas you can tune into a radio station and listen to some satanic Norwegian Black Metal but I somehow doubt it would be on anything mainstream although the album did peak at number 2 on the Norwegian charts so I could be wrong! And to be fair, it's the things that are not like other Black Metal tracks that I like. I like that Satyr and Frost have tried new ideas and broken the mould of what people expect from them. But there are still key elements like Frost's blinding drumming and the whole attitude of Black Metal is still prevalent.

It is hard to pick a favourite track as they are all good but I still tend to go to K.I.N.G, it was the first single and seeing the video on a DVD Metal Hammer magazine had I was instantly attracted to the sound and went and brought the album. I probably don't play this album as much as it deserves, although I do go through patches where it gets a good thrashing especially if I want a good “fuck you” to religion!

K.I.N.G: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV4qrlc8iTM
The Rite Of Our Cross: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8o5t2saBzQ

No comments:

Post a Comment