Friday, February 11, 2011

Charles Mingus - Pithecanthropus Erectus

I’m sure I heard the album as a kid, there’s just something really familiar about it I can’t put my finger on exactly. The record is the product of Charles Mingus’ Jazz Workshops. The title track is a tone poem depicting the rise and fall of man from primitive beginnings. The second track is one of the most creative I’ve ever heard. A Foggy Day is the recreation of regular city street noises performed by regular Jazz instruments. The second side is a little more mainstream than I prefer, but it’s still an adequate listen.

The production is really pretty bad, and all we have is the one mono master, no multis. In that regard, there’s not much difference between different CD versions of the album.

A Foggy Day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPlDPnT41P

No comments:

Post a Comment