Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cuarteto Casals - Metamorphosis


I don’t know very much about classical. I guess you need a fairly invested understanding of musical theory to really get the most out of it. What I do like is hearing musical sounds I’m not really used to, so the change from rock and jazz is highly welcome.

The disc focuses on three pieces by Hungarian composers of the 20th century. There is Bartok’s string quartet no. 4; Ligeti’s string quartet no. 1 and Kurtag’s 12 Microludes for string quartet. The first two works are about 20 minutes each and the last is 12. You sort of need to learn how to follow the music to get the most from it but from first listen I think I like the Ligeti piece the best.

Nothing from the album itself is on Youtube, but here is a link to someone else playing the Ligeti piece: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OD4oJKJFVI

No comments:

Post a Comment