Saturday, February 12, 2011

Cathedral – the Guessing Game


Review#26

So today Josh and I are reviewing the same album (my pick today!), I have decided on Cathedral's most recent album The Guessing Game.

This is a pretty epic album clocking in at 1.4 hours over 2 disc's. It also has some pretty wicked artwork to boot. Cathedral's sound on this album moves away a little from their standard Doom sound and adds a Stoner rock/Psychedelia feel to it. It covers all sorts of topics from religion to animal rights and finishes with a song musing on the history and future of the band.
My favourite track is hands down Funeral Of Dreams, I love the riff and the lyrics and the weird trippy keyboard riff. Other highlights are Painting In The Dark, Casket Chasers and La Noche Del Buque Maldito (Aka Ghost Ship Of The Blind Dead). I also like like the kind of surreal sound of Cat's, Incense, Candles & Wine and I have to admit the odd kinda creepy distorted mooing at the start of Requiem For The Voiceless is pretty cool.

Over all I think this is a solid album with a cool guitar sound that compliments Lee Dorrian's Voice nicely.

Funeral Of Dreams: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeUhGe4qFFU

No comments:

Post a Comment