Saturday, February 12, 2011

John Lennon – Plastic Ono Band


Review# 27

So today I am reviewing Josh's pick. This album is likely to be well outside my comfort zone and lets face it, I am far less tolerant of music outside of my scene but I will do my best to review this as fairly as I can but please bear in mind that I know nothing at all about this style of music!

The first track, Mother, has John doing some weird strangled screaming that all I can imagine is him sitting on the loo taking a shit. I actually prefer the rock sound on I found out. Mother, for me was not an appealing start (sorry Josh!) but now that I am on I Found Out I can hear something that is kinda cool in an old retro rock-esk way.
I like the sound of Lennon's voice, he has a nice voice and can get across some attitude when he wants to like on Working Class Hero. This album almost sounds like it was recorded in a club or something, but the audience hasn't been invited. This isn't necessarily a bad thing though.

One thing on this album that I am happy about is that after sitting through the incredibly boring Love is Well Well Well which is probably my favourite song on the album, although John does get incredibly close to the taking a shit screaming at points it is sill pretty good and at least suits the music a lot better.

So I don't really know how to sum this up, some tracks I think are pretty decent others I think are boring but that doesn't sound right. Josh you are so much better at saying “well I may not like it but the production is such and such etc”. Unfortunately I am shit at that stuff unless it is screamingly obvious to me. So this is my attempt at summing up; I like the earthy sound of the album and I surprised myself that I liked more than I kinda thought I would. I don't mean that in a bitchy way but considering this is way outta my field I don't know how best to describe it. I hope that makes sense... I have lost my train of thought so am going to leave you with a song....

Well Well Well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofBXGyLtQ58

No comments:

Post a Comment