Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Muse - Black Holes and Revelations

This is the only Muse album I like. I remember thinking it was great when I got it, but haven’t really listened to it at all in a couple of years. Let’s see how it holds up.

By Muse standards the production is really good. Absolution is literally the worst sounding CD in my collection, and while the cymbals have artefacts of compression the rest of the instruments sound reasonably clear. You have to wonder why they hate the drummer so much to have him so low in the mix though. As far as musical content does it really is a singles driven album for me, personally. The best track to me is the lead single Starlight, followed by the closer Knights of Cydonia. What really sticks out this round, apart from badly produced drums, is the quality of the lyrics. These aren’t very good at all and for me the main sticking point of the album is the catchy pop songs rather than the things I normally like in music. Thank God they’re such great pop songs I guess.

Funny, I would have thought this review would be much more positive...

Starlight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgum6OT_VH8

No comments:

Post a Comment