Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Offspring - Americana

“Welcome to nostalgiacana. Please make your selection followed by the pound sign now.” This was a pretty awesome album when I was about ten or so. I can still sing it word for word with almost no prompting, despite only having heard it a dozen times or so in the past ten years. I can’t tell how well it’s held up because I can’t listen to it with any more maturity than I had when I was right into it. A time when I didn’t have a CD player in my room, so if I wanted to listen to some music in my room I had to put it on tape except we didn’t have a way to tape to cassette so I had to run it through my PlayStation and, dig this, videotape it so I could listen to it later.

The music on the album is pretty straight pop punk rock. If I didn’t have the residual emotional investment I’m not sure I could make it through the record today. Hell, I’m surprised I can make it through as it is. The album is mostly social commentary on the excesses and failures of American culture and I’m sure this seemed way more topical and relevant and interesting in the 90’s. To be fair one of the biggest draws was that it had words your parents wouldn’t let you say. When you’re ten, swear words are the best words.

Production seems actually pretty good, being released by a major studio at a time before loudness wars really kicked in full force. I can’t say I’ll listen to it often, but I look forward to the next time I dig it out in a few years time.

Walla Walla: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOEhwpM6n1A
Obladi-Oblada Why Don't You Get A Job?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqHkuHy39eA
No Brakes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMCOo3aPwc0

1 comment:

  1. I love how you video taped your playstation so you could listen to this... awesomness!!!

    ReplyDelete