Friday, February 18, 2011

Queens Of The Stone Age - Rated R


Review# 49

Lets first off mention that I don’t like Queens Of The Stone Age at all. Let me also mention that I also have not really listened to an album of theirs all the way through. But seeming as both my partner and flat mate love them I have finally given in. Let me also state for the record that I am a stubborn bitch.

So, I am not sure what to make of the first track, Feel Good Hit Of The Summer, it's quite irritating really. I think a large part of it is is that I find Josh Homme's voice boring. Technically it is good, but the feel of it is just meh and that irritates me. I know I am likely alone in this thought but take the second track The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret, it could be an enjoyable song but then it is lost in translation between Josh and my ears.

There is something else here though, something I can't put my finger on... on one hand it's almost sleepy time music but there is some annoying quality that counters that and just gets under my skin. The psychedelic sounds in Auto Pilot just makes me squirm for example.

I really don't get it, I actually thought I would have to try and NOT be a stubborn bitch and that I would be all “secretly its not that bad” but so far I am really not getting it. There are things I kinda like, the weird distorted drone sounds in Better Living Through Chemistry are kinda cool and so are the guitars, but the “ahhhh ahhhh ahhhh” through the track are just soooooo fucking annoying! Musically they are good but this album is just rotating between boring or irritating for me. In The Fade is so weird, the song is so tedious but there is this little guitar hook at one point that sounds like it should be on the Cult Of Luna album I reviewed the other week, only its boring and has no energy. Tension Head is probably the best thing on here but personally I still find it impersonal and lacking in passion.

I am sorry people, I did actually put my stubbornness aside but this is just pants.

Tension Head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XmDhiAnH2I

No comments:

Post a Comment