Friday, February 11, 2011

Dave Brubeck - Time Out

This is, along with I guess Kind of Blue and Giant Steps are one of those untouchable jazz records. It’s easy to see why based entirely on the strength of Take Five alone. If the record only consisted of Take Five it would still be just about as successful as it is now. The album is substantially more polite than the jazz I normally like to listen to, mellow on a Sunday afternoon sort of stuff, rather than say Bitches Brew or A Love Supreme. This makes the album a much easier listen for many people, but it comes across to me as being less spontaneous, which is largely what drew me to jazz in the first place.

Top songs are Take Five, as well as the opening cut, Blue Rondo A La Turk, which starts fast in some unusual time signature (I don’t understand time signatures, personally) and then mellows out to the pace the rest of the album follows. It’s a very cool album, and good to listen to, but apart from Take Five, nothing really jumps out more than anything else as being an exceptional track. Then again, instrumental music takes longer to sink in for me and I only got this last week.
Take Five: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmDDOFXSgAs

No comments:

Post a Comment